Sunday, February 2, 2014

Special Thanks, Q and A, and a Wool Redbird

Hello dear friends!  
I want to thank you all for sharing your kind words and positive feedback for the "Redbird and Berries" recipe posted on the Moda Bake Shop.   It's so much fun sharing a new design and tutorial and it warms my heart to know that many of you enjoyed it as much as I did.  

Thank you, thank you!  
It's especially touching to read about how many of you hold a special place in your hearts for the Northern Cardinal - sharing your stories of how they bond you to a friend or loved one - in this world or otherwise.  I can sure relate to that feeling - this bird represents a symbol of love to me.

Well now...  back to sewing...  a few of you mentioned an interest in a post about layering the bird mask and beak.  I hope to share a post with you soon.  I'll show detailed pictures and the steps I used to layer the Redbird.  In the meantime, if you're not familiar with Needle Turn applique - you may want to review the method that I use by viewing the "Teardrops of Love" tutorial.  Specific instructions for the berries and the stems are called out in the Moda Bake Shop recipe.  Please email me directly if you have other questions about the pattern.  I would be happy to help out.

One note about the "Printer Friendly Version" of the Moda Bake Shop recipe.  This PDF can be found just after my signature on the MBS Post and just before the Comments section - OR - Try clicking here for the download.  Please let me know if you can't get either to work.  Thanks!

Others inquired about kits for "Redbird and Berries" - I"m afraid I know of none at this time. 

If for any reason you can't find the mini-charms at your Local or Online Quilt shop consider purchasing a Charm Pack of Little Black Dress 2 and cutting each 5" square into (4) 2.5" squares.   That would give you MORE THAN enough Mini-Charms to complete the border. 

Alternatively you can purchase a Jelly Roll of Little Black Dress 2 and cut the 2.5" strips into squares.  This would also leave you with bunches of leftover Little Black Dress 2 for a pillow or table topper!  Woohoo!!

For those of you that might be interested in doing the bird and berries in wool, I just completed a flimsey of a scaled down wool version of the pattern.  If you're interested in having the bird template for this version please let me know.  I hope to get this quilted soon to share in a separate post.
When you applique with wool there is no need to turn your edges under, you just stitch the raw edge of the wool with a blanket or overhand/whip stitch.  On the berries, just a few small stitches through the center of them is good enough.  So easy and fast!  For more wool tips and tricks click here.

If you haven't signed up for the Redbird and Berries starter kit giveaway, please be sure to enter here. A winner will be chosen late on February 15th.  The giveaway is open to domestic and international participants.

Thanks again for all of your postive and thoughtful comments my friends and have a wonderful Superbowl Sunday!

Hugs,
Karen

8 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the scaled down version in wool. I would like the template for it. Thanks so much for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cardinals and Crows. I would enjoy making this pattern. I just know I wont get around to it any time soon though. I will save the idea along with many others I have. You never know, some day I may have the time. I love it.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen- Happy Ground Hogs Day! I love the idea of using wool- brilliant. I also like the idea of not having to turn the edges. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The minute I saw your "Redbird and Berries" post I knew I was going to do one with the cardinal and berries done in wool. I love cardinals, red and wool. At this point I'm ready for the applique and very anxious to get busy on that tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration to do this and best of luck in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wool appliqué. I've never used it on a quilt meant for use. How does it launder and hold up to the wear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cardinal lover here for sure! :) They are my first visitors pre-dawn...I have grown accustomed to their muted 'cheep cheep" while the light outside is still a blue-ish shade...they sit in my crabapple tree or privet bush at first, and then visit the feeders or ground area for their sunflower seeds. I know that down the line when I have some other things off the burner that I will enjoy doing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This idea of doing your gorgeous Redbirds and Berries quilt with wool appliqués is inspiring. I thought about it while eating my breakfast and my thoughts went from "I can do the cardinal quilt in wool if I don't win the giveaway--I have so many wool scraps waiting to be used." to "Mmmm, there are so many appliqués I want to do but there's only 24 hours in a day, why not doing them with wool?" Now, my mind is swirling with wool appliqués I must stitch...

    ReplyDelete
  8. working with wool and fabric when it comes to applique is enjoyable for me but working with wool does make the project come together faster for sure.

    ReplyDelete