Monday, December 21, 2015

Chevron Shuffle on the Moda Bake Shop - A Modern Mini

Greeting fellow quilters -- thank you for stopping by!
I've been busy lately preparing a new recipe for the Moda Bake Shop and I'm excited to share it with you today.
Chevron Shuffle is a modern mini quilt prepared with the colorful and bright
Basic Mixologie by Studio M for Moda.
It finishes just about 24" square.
The design is based on my
February 2015 Moda Bake Shop Recipe
Chevron with a Twist and was created to celebrate the Bake Shop's December Month of Mini's.    
The recipe uses 84 print/white Half Square Triangles and 16 white/white Half Square Triangles.
The quilt top uses well less than 2 Charm packs and can be prepared in a weekend.
 For some fun I decided to use the "Focus" layout shared in the March 2015 post For the Love of Half Square Triangles.
The Focus layout uses the same number of HST's as Chevron with a Twist but they're arranged differently. 
On Chevron Shuffle I strayed from traditional applique and created a modern layered flower that complements the half square triangle design.
Also on Chevron Shuffle I tried some
new-to-me batting,
Dream Orient, by Quilter's Dream.
It's really unique batting -- dense but soft, all natural fibers, and oh-so-dreamy!  
I layered the Dream Orient with Dream Wool (100% Wool batting).

These two layers of batting provided for generous quilting texture, don't you think?
Other fun parts of preparing Chevron Shuffle included quilting with my favorite Aurifil threads in 3 different weights.  50 Wt for piecing, 40Wt for quilting and 12Wt for machine applique and top stitching.
Do checkout the Moda Bake Shop post to see all the details.
You know I love Aurifil thread!
And one last fun component of this quilt was using the QP Curve Templates to create some beautiful curved quilting texture around the modern flower.
I used a water/air soluble pen to mark my reference points 1/4" (A) and 1/2" (B) in from the seam points.  The #8 QP Curve Template worked beautifully!
If you've not tried out Linda Hrcka's
{The Quilted Pineapple}
curved acrylic templates you should.
I use them on my domestic machine to make beautiful designs.  They certainly open up a whole new world of quilting options -- even on your home machine.
*
You can read more about the QP Curve Templates on this post.
***
To view a few videos of my using the templates on my home machine,
 click on over to my YouTube Channel
***
If you have an interest in learning to Free Motion Quilt on your home machine, be sure to join 4000+ other quilters on my Facebook Community Group
 Free Motion Quilting Frenzy.

Also, I'll soon be starting a short but informative Free Motion Quilt Along -- stay tuned to my blog and/or my Facebook Page for more information on that.
Supplies and schedule to be announced soon.

Many thanks for stopping by -- I do hope you like the new Chevron Shuffle Mini Quilt.
Jump on over to the Moda Bake Shop to view all of the details.

Social Media ....
Have you made a quilt inspired by my patterns or tutorials 
-OR-
Would you, your shop, or your guild be interested in my Workshop or Program offerings ? 
You can write me anytime:  
karen@redbirdquiltco.com or 
redbirdquiltco@gmail.com

*** Follow Me ***

Did you know you can visit me on
and/or
I post all sorts of fun things there!!
**
If you love to Free Motion Quilt consider joining my 
Facebook Community Group
*
Plus
I share quilting related
videos on my YouTube Channel
*
I'll soon be sharing live feed TV on my Periscope
*
I'm also on Pinterest and Twitter 
and I share other tutorials and patterns on
My Tutorials on my blog

Thanks again for stopping by...

Have a blessed holiday.
Karen

13 comments:

  1. Love that center on the Chevron Shuffle, very creative and unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lea Anne -- it was fun to play with! Now I want to make more... ;) Take care now and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt!! Great layout of HST's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful mini! Love that center and the quilting that you did on it. You are such a busy girl. I can't believe how much you accomplish and how well you keep up with everything! Don't forget to indulge yourself every once in awhile! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another winner! Very interesting method to make the center flower - it looks like you stacked full squares on there, but no. I love it! Was it difficult to do the blanket stitching on your machine through all the layers? Fun all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh, bright, happy, do-able!!!!!! Great recipe!!!! Congrats on another 'winner'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Karen, I just love this...so bright and cheery! Best yet I love your tools for making the center. Mostly because you have to finish off the wine before turning the glass over for marking. This is a project that is right up my alley! LOL!! Really, I am going to make this. It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.....great design and I adore the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Karen. Thank goodness I found your site. It is wonderful. Looking forward to reading all your posts. I added your blog to my list of favorites. http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The modern applique is VERY cute, but that quilting really makes your quilt shine! Really beautiful, and no I have not tried the quilting templates yet. I can see how handy they may be for curves like these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A simply adorable design that you have created. I love the idea of using the templates to quilt with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really , really pretty Karen. I love the bright and happy colors! I think it would look great totally scrappy too. Thank you for linking up! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful mini -- the 3D flower really sets it off. Your quilting is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete